The Need to Have Our Own News Outlets




by Laura Thompson

I was browsing through my Facebook news feed like I do every morning when I wake up and I came across an editorial by one of the Express News writers.  During my campaign, Express News and
KSAT News felt that it was their appointed duty to annihilate my name every time they had the opportunity to do so.

As you know or may not know, I ran for District120 State Rep and ended up on the general election ballot.  I was the only Independent in Texas to be placed on the ballot for the 2016 November general election.

I read an interesting article this morning that described the landscape of the new legislators going into office.  They were described as green (unexperienced and not very knowledgeable).  They however described my opponent as one being watched by Texas Legislators and as one who would probably best be able to reach across the aisle to work with Republicans, at least on the issue of education.  She was also described as having an independent edge, which I find very interesting that she would be described using "Independent", when Express News clearly bent over backwards to make it seem absurd that I would run as an Independent. Needless to say, the true Independent has been watched, reached out to and looked at as a refreshing change to the Texas House of Representatives during the short time that I was able to serve.  I was the first Independent to serve in the House of Representatives in over 50 years and must say that I was privileged and honored to represent the district.

I was ridiculed and snickered at for my choice of running, as an Independent candidate, but now all of a sudden it becomes fashionable.  The mold has been broken in terms of choosing to run as a Third Party candidate in District 120.  Imposters are a dime a dozen Express News.  I wrote this to say, that it is important to have your own medium and not rely on once source to get all of your information. 

The African American Network has been established to provide information from a first hand perspective and not from a sales or propaganda perspective. You will be hearing more from this news outlet.  We're a news source that provides "Local News with a Global Feel".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORBESWOMAN | 9/10/2012 @ 8:10PM |4,196 views 10 Free Tools Every Female Entrepreneur Should Use