No Name Calling

by Laura Thompson

I had an interesting day today. Attended a couple of meetings.  Learned more about a friend.  And one of my favorite things to do, I watched some young kindergarten students just being kids during their lunch break, while waiting to talk to an old friend.

Educating our kids is a very important aspect to our life. Those who are teaching and leading our kids have to be extra careful how they deal with our kids.  While waiting to speak with my friend, a teacher had allowed her class to walk ahead of her at a local school in San Antonio.  They were young kids, kindergartners to be exact. They were walking back to class from lunch.  As the kids were walking, some of them begin to play, as young kids will do and so the line was not as straight as the teacher would have liked and they weren't as quiet as she would have preferred...just Kids.

As she walked fast to catch up with the kids, she called them "Monkeys"...I was so appalled that I had to go up and say something to the kids and also say something to her.  I walked towards the kids, spoke to them and let them know that they were not monkeys.

I then approached the teacher and reminded her that the kids were not monkeys and that she probably should not refer to them as such.  Of course she was thrown aback and wanted to know who I was.  I told her my name, but also told her that it really did not matter who I was...she should never call her students anything other than their name.  I asked her if she had kids...she told me no...and she apologized more than once.  I told her that she should find a better way to lead her students because kids are going to be kids...especially young kids.

If you see or hear kids being disrespected at their school...in public or possibly in their homes...say something.  Name calling is a form of verbal abuse and kids can't really defend themselves from adults without being called bad...if we learn to respect our children more...they will certainly respect us.  They are looking for love, direction and guidance.  They respond well to discipline and clear direction.
Just had to say something...I am a big advocate for kids.  Remember our kids a human beings...please don't call them bad names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORBESWOMAN | 9/10/2012 @ 8:10PM |4,196 views 10 Free Tools Every Female Entrepreneur Should Use